|Aren't we being a bit too picky, ladies? I mean when you really love someone, this is what you end up seeing every morning.|
This one is for the guys.
I am so sick of the male bashing going on with the "Miami guys you've dated" posts both in Miami New Times and Huffington Post. What pisses me off more is this xenophobic attitude written by "outsiders" who think shit is wrong with Miami. Nothing is wrong with Miami and yet everything is "wrong" with Miami. It's just another freakin' city, for pete's sake, populated with people from all over the world. Get over it, already.
Grow up! If you don't like it, get the hell out! Why did you move here in the first place? Why are you still here? Maybe YOU are the problem.
No matter where you live, you manifest and attract what you are and how you live. Yeah, I may be single right now, but I'm not ungrateful for some pretty awesome dating experiences I've had in the Magic City. Sure there have been some duds, but that could happen anywhere. I've met some really great guys here and who cares if the dating didn't result in marriage? Sometimes dating is just that -- dating.
As my friend and relationship coach Gladys says, "men go on dates, women go on relationships."
So let's see, if it really takes two to tango, there's a reason why assholes attract each other in this mating dance. Now, I'm obviously a woman and not a misogynist, but ladies, sometimes that so-called jerk you are dating doesn't know what the hell to do with you. If you keep thinking he's a bad guy, well guess what? He's gonna end up being a bad guy -- ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy?
If you really want to question why things aren't working, then look inside yourself. The city has nothing to do with it. Watch enough episodes of Sex and the City, and you know New York is not really the central character. The narrative is really about the brave hearts of several women navigating the waters of sex, love and relationships. Same deal with Golden Girls, by the way, which was figuratively set in Miami.
So which type of Miami girl are you? Be honest, now.
1. You're the tourist or transient type who just wants casual sex, yet you complain when he bolts out the door. Why are you expecting commitment if you don't act like someone who wants commitment?
2. You're the ultra-vain girl who expects to be treated like a queen, but you play hard to get and don't give the guy the time of day unless he's got cash. You may have missed out on a good guy just because he didn't have an Amex black card. If you think vagina is a gold digging tool let me introduce you to a shovel that picks up a shallow emotional life instead of real love.
3. You're the woman who doesn't give a divorced guy a chance. And by divorced guy, I mean FULLY divorced, with some recovery time to spare. And what's more, why do we give divorced fathers a hard time in those cases when they are actually devoted dads who are working hard to support their kids? If you don't want that situation, then don't date divorced fathers or otherwise, accept his baggage. You've got yours, too.
4. You're that gal who saves all her cash for plastic surgery enhancements on your body while you put no focus on your spiritual side -- and yet you want a guy to appreciate you for who you really are? Who the hell are you, anyway? A silicon-filled barbie doll? What happened to your heart? Yes, it's important to stay beautiful, but at what cost?
5. You're that lady who gives a hand and then lets the guy take the whole arm. You don't set any boundaries. If you don't want guys to treat you like crap, well, then, don't let them. Yeah, they may try to take advantage of your emotional vulnerability, but ultimately, you have power over your own feelings and the goods, wink wink. Stop playing the victim all the time.
6. You're that woman who constantly complains about everything and is never grateful. She never says "thank you" and because she feels so entitled, the guy stands no chance of ever pleasing her. Honey, maybe he's not the problem. Maybe he's actually sweet. Maybe it's you, because you're bitter and haven't forgiven yourself for past romantic blunders.
7. You're that kind of woman who wants to control every minute of the date and never goes with the flow. Just let the damn guy do his thing -- provided it is safe, of course. If you don't like what he planned, well you have no obligation to see him again. NEXT.
8. You're that girl who is so afraid to take a chance, you blame the opposite sex for not wanting to go out with you. Who wants to go out with someone who is afraid to go out?
9. You're that overly-confident yet insecure woman who plays sex up to the hilt yet you expect guys to respect you. Leave something to the imagination, girl. A guy doesn't need to see your semi-nude photos on Facebook, unless soft porn is you part-time job and you are using social networks for business purposes. We've had enough already with Miley Cirus twerking on national TV.
10. You're actually a really accomplished, eloquent and elegant professional, who is healthy and holds her own. And you can't understand why you're not happily married at this point. I admit this one stumps me ... but it's not like there aren't any self-accomplished, similar professional guys in Miami. Of course there are! Gotta keep looking.
And finally, this woman is ME. It's YOU. It's all of us. Straight, gay, whatever, we have all stumbled and made mistakes, which aren't really mistakes, but life journey lessons. There's a little of us in all of these behaviors.
Come on, who hasn't acted like an idiot sometimes? I'll be the first one to admit it. Stop blaming the guys for everything. Stop blaming the city. Look inside yourself. Otherwise, get the hell out of Miami.
And I can pretty much guarantee that leaving Dodge isn't going to result in instant dating success. Otherwise, Miami would be a city full of men with mail order Russian brides and yet it's not. For every woman I know who's single, there's also some other one who is a in good relationship.