Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Taste of Spain in Downtown Miami

A Taste of Spain at DB Bistro Moderne Miami

My mouth went to Spain the other day.

Tender, smoky octopus, redolent of the salt spray that splashed my skin when I went fishing in Galicia -- combined with a tangy piquillo pepper sauce, garbanzos, perfectly briny black olives and roasted Marcona almonds -- made me wonder if I hadn't boarded a flight on Iberia and traversed the entire peninsula from Andalucía to the shores of the Bay of Biscay, all in one mouthful.

While slowly enjoying each bite, I envisioned Flamenco dancers from the south and Gaiteros performing Celtic jigs to the north. Along the way, I saw fields of sunflowers and the castle ruins of Castilla-León.

I am rarely this inspired by food. This dish transported me.

Pulpo A La Gallega is an appetizer served at at DB Bistro Moderne, located at the JW Marriott Marquis in downtown Miami. For less than $20, it's far cheaper than a flight to Spain and an absolute pleasure to devour -- slowly, of course -- with no shame to mop up the sauce with bread.

No comments: