Thursday, November 11, 2010

Trail of the Pirates: Treasure Coast Tease, Part 2

Trail of the Pirates is a travel series exploring maritime history, culture and lore between Key West and St. Augustine on the east coast of Florida.

mclarty museum vero beach A sign at the McLarty Treasure Museum explains the ill fortune of the 1715 Spanish fleet that shipwrecked on these shores.

Today I drove from Hutchinson Island all the way up to Sebastian Inlet State Park on A1A. The drive was simply beautiful! Afterward, I toured the McLarty Treasure Museum, where I learned all about the 1715 Spanish fleet that shipwrecked in these waters during a hurricane. Notorious British pirates from Jamaica took advantage of the fleet's misfortune. My next stop was Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum in Sebastian. Fisher's daughter, Taffi, gave me a private tour. That was a real treat!

A full post and video coming soon. I'm exhausted! Can't wait for the sunrise tomorrow so I can (hopefully) see some dolphins splashing about the Indian River; the water is literally lapping just just a few feet away from my room here at charming Captain Hiram's Resort.

Next stop: St. Augustine!

In the meantime, enjoy a Jonas Brother's rockin' and rather grown-up version of the Disney classic Yo Ho Ho Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me. The original was composed in 1967 as a theme song for Pirates of the Caribbean, a ride at Disney's Magic Kingdom in Orlando. (I remember loving that ride when I was a kid.) Eventually, the ride grew into a multi-billion dollar franchise ... talk about good treasure!




ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

Special thanks to Annie's Costumes, Visit Florida, Indian River Chamber of Commerce and Captain Hiram's Resort for supporting this project today.

No comments: